Wednesday, June 25, 2008

How am I Acting?

Consistent: Holding to the same principles or practice.

One major goal in my sobriety has been to act in a consistent manner. This is in direct contrast to the wildly inconsistent and thoroughly bizarre life that I used to lead when I was drinking. I was a ticking time bomb. Everybody but me knew that I was a bomb. Everyone knew it was inevitable that I was going to blow; the only questions were when would I detonate and how big was the boom going to be. I wasn't even a fancy bomb. I was one of those black balls with a lit fuse coming out of it. It said "Bomb" on the side. I wasn't fooling anyone.

The Program has provided me with a lot of great friends. And I mean friends, not drinking buddies using me for their own selfish purposes. Over the years, these guys have gotten to know me very well. A little too well some of the time. I can't get away with very much any more. These guys aren't afraid to piss me off. A real friend knows that there are going to be some ups and downs in any relationship so they don't care if my delicate sensibilities get hurt from time to time. They're more interested in snuffing the fuse.

No comments: