Thursday, June 5, 2008

Let's Keep It Complicated

When I was starting out in recovery and chafing under the yoke of having to live a spiritual life -- this didn't sound like as much fun as accumulating a lot of material stuff and avoiding as much pain as possible -- I decided to shed the heavy chains of my religious upbringing and devote some time to studying a bunch of the world's other, cooler religions and spiritual schools of thought. What a shock to discover that, in their essence, when all of the dogma and rules and funny priestly outfits are tossed out, there isn't that much difference between them. And our beloved Twelve Step Program didn't come up with anything new, either. It just made these concepts palatable to drunks and drug addicts.

Every day I try to get my arms around what it means to live in the minute and be of service to others and seek God. I think that other people should be of service to me. I think that they should be thinking of me and how they can make my life easier. The present is boring. There's nothing interesting going on right now. If I could only arrange the world to my exact specifications, then I'd be happy. And why should I have to seek God? I'm right here. If he's God, then he shouldn't have any trouble finding me. He can Google me up -- I'm in the book, for god's sake.

It's not as easy as it sounds

No comments: