Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pain? Or Pleasure?

Rhetorical Question: A question asked, as in oratory or writing, only for rhetorical effect, to emphasize a point, introduce a topic, etc., no answer being expected.


We live in world full of perplexing questions. What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make a sound? Which came first: the chicken or the egg? Why did the chicken cross the road? Why do so many rhetorical questions use chickens to emphasize their point?


The truly profound question, of course, is this: Does my hatred for pain exceed my love of pleasure? I'm not sure that there is a good answer to this. I spend virtually all of my time either fleeing from pain or endlessly pursuing pleasure. I can't get enough of either. I'm the kid in agony with a stomach ache, reaching for one more piece of candy. I'm the guy nursing a throbbing tooth, avoiding the needle-wielding dentist.


Basically, I'm a three year old trapped in an adult body. I'm still under the impression that I can skate through life avoiding all problems. I don't see why problems have to be part of the equation. This is the great attraction of alcohol for an alcoholic. It makes the pain go away. It fixes what ails me. It's an effective short term solution for everything.

We take the Long View here.



No comments: