Friday, June 20, 2008

From Pain Shall Come Pleasure

Ouch: An exclamation expressing sudden pain.

I know what I want. I know how to go about getting what I want. I am definitely dialed in to what I don't want. Avoiding pain and pursuing pleasure is a trait that I share with other highly developed life forms like shrimp and moths and horseshoe crabs. It doesn't differentiate me from the rabble. It isn't something to be proud of. I don't walk around shouting: "Hey! Today I'm not going to stick my hand in the fire." That isn't impressive recognition of the known facts.

The trick is turning the adversity into an advantage. I don't have the mindset to see that a difficulty may lead to something better. I can't seem to get by the difficulty part. I'm sure that if I let even the smallest difficulty get by my armed guards that a veritable avalanche of really awful difficulties will overwhelm my defenses.

Pain is part of the equation. Don't focus on it.

No comments: