Monday, June 16, 2008

The Sweet Nectar of Anger

Today I am going to indulge my sweet tooth for that most delicious of treats: anger. I am going to pay special attention to justified anger, the dessert served up in the best dysfunctional recovery restaurants in the world. If I'm unhappy about something, I'm going to lash out. I will not pause when agitated. I will not practice restraint of tongue and pen. I will react immediately. And because the best defense is a good offense, my strategy will be Shock and Awe. I plan on starting the argument aggressively and ending it quickly with a decisive and overwhelming victory.

My experience with anger is that it almost always works out well for me. When I'm upset, when my emotions are running high, when my sex, security, or ego is threatened, I make fair and balanced decisions. I swing at cops. I curse my parents. I never, ever say anything that I regret.


The best advice I ever got concerning my recovery was this: Don't talk. Don't say anything. Just keep your mouth shut unless it is absolutely, positively necessary. Whatever comes out is invariably going to make things worse.

It has actually been pretty good advice.



No comments: