Thursday, July 3, 2008

Just One of the Cows in the Herd

Ordinary: Usual; regular; normal, unexceptional; common.

Here's a sentence from our literature: "We have not once sought to be one in a family, to be a friend among friends, to be a worker among workers, to be a useful member of society." Well, no shit, Sherlock. I have sought to be a titan among titans. I want to be King of the Titans. I want to wield the Sword of Absolute Power, that's what I want.

My spirits fell when I first read this passage. There were few ideas in our Fellowship that I found so discouraging. It seemed to recommend that I should strive to be so . . . ordinary. This is a difficult concept for an extraordinarily extraordinary person like myself. I'm a leader of men. I'm a slayer of dragons. I'm a thinker of great thoughts. I'm a maker of bongs and a drinker of beer. I'm the driver of the porcelain bus.

"Always we tried to struggle to the top of the heap, or to hide underneath it." I'm an egomaniac with an inferiority complex. I'm the greatest piece of garbage that ever walked the face of the earth.

What an ego I have. What nerve to think that my actions are so important or my place in the world is so exalted.

No comments: