Friday, July 25, 2008

Tomorrow is Not Today

Today I am going to live entirely in the future. I'm going to wing way on out there as far as I can get. The future that I imagine is a shadowy, dark place full of threatening figures. It is an ominous place. Outcomes will be unpleasant. The choices that I make today will be incorrect and will start a slow, downward spiral from which I will never recover. Other than that, things should be OK.

Why don't I win the lottery in the futures that I construct? Why don't things work out well? If I'm going to waste my time thinking about events that are almost certainly never going to come to pass, why not pick pleasant thoughts? Instead, I'm getting murdered or bilked out of my savings or the burning plane is crashing into the jungle, which is full of crocodiles and piranhas and stinging insects.

I'm under the impression that my Higher Power has rescued me from a painful alcoholic death, set me on my feet, and pointed me in the right direction, only to decide at the last minute to drop me on my head. This makes no sense whatsoever. The Devil isn't that cruel, let alone the source of all Goodness in the Universe. I am going to be taken care of. I am going to be well taken care of in light of my past behavior.

Today.

No comments: