Thursday, July 24, 2008

I'm So Relaxed It's Giving Me a Headache

Relax: To become less tense or stern.

I make everything way too important. I don't have a good intuitive feel for what it means to take it easy. The two speeds that are installed in my being are full acceleration and completely stopped. I like to go a hundred miles an hour to get to my next destination so that I can sit there, bored, and wonder why I was in such a big hurry. It's hard to notice the lovely scenery when the telephone poles are flying by so fast that they look like a picket fence

Sometimes we suggest that we should wear the world like a loose cloak. The idea is that we have to stay engaged but that we can relax a little bit. I wear the world like a spandex unitard, which is a couple of sizes too small and has been shrunk in the dryer. This is not called a "relaxed fit." Maybe I could start a new line of clothing specializing in uncomfortably small items. I could call it the "tense fit."

It's nice to want to get things done. It's nice to be productive. It shouldn't be our only goal in life. We don't have to be productive all of the time. We can mess up and drift off in the wrong direction and struggle with stuff. We don't have to have all the answers all the time. We can relax and take it easy. We have to stay engaged with the world but we don't have to wrestle it to the ground.

No comments: