Monday, July 14, 2008

There Are Other People?

Other: another or some other person or thing.

Today I'm not going to clog up my brain with thoughts of other people. I'm sure not going to do anything for anyone else. Thinking about them is bad enough. This isn't going to be as easy as it sounds despite my highly developed ability to block out all awareness of anyone but myself. Sometimes a stray thought of another person sneaks into my consciousness through some shadowy mental back door. I will, however, be vigilant and banish these thoughts as soon as they appear. I can't afford to allow such nonsense to gain even the tiniest of footholds. The consequences may be dire.

I get nervous if I wonder whether I can keep this practice up forever. To this I say: One Day At A Time. Our wonderful slogan can be applied to all kinds of actions besides drinking. Tomorrow I may allow myself to think of someone else -- tomorrow I may call some of my old friends to see if they want to get together and spend an evening thinking about others -- but not today. All I can do is take care of this day and trust that tomorrow will take care of itself.

Just keep it simple and everything will work out for the best.

No comments: