Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Avoid The Noid

Avoid: To keep away from; shun; to get out of; shirk.

The thing about me and pain is that I really don't see the point of it. I don't really care for it at all. I don't see what it does for me. And I'm talking about any kind of pain whatsoever: emotional, mental, or physical. I find them all equally distasteful and have made one of the main goals of my life the avoidance of pain by whatever means possible.

When I'm in pain, I try to fix the problem immediately. I try to make the pain go away. I don't want to spend any time figuring out why I'm in pain, to see if my behavior somehow caused the pain or that the particular pain I'm in may be a normal, unavoidable part of a normal, boring life. If I'm unsuccessful in banishing the pain quickly and with little effort, then I assume that it is never going to go away. Moreover, it is going to get worse. I run screaming into the night.

This is what we mean when we talk about living in the problem or living in the solution.

No comments: