Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Is There a Problem, HorseFace?

Problem: A question, matter, situation, or person that is perplexing or difficult.

I have problems.

And while I was originally under the impression that I could skate through life avoiding these problems -- all I needed was easy access to an unlimited supply of the correct combination of alcohol and pharmacological agents -- my friends in recovery quickly disabused me of this un-fact. Now I have to face my problems, which is actually a hell of a lot easier than pretending they don't exist. When my hair is on fire, I put some water on it. I acknowledge the fact that it's on fire and take action. I was the guy at the bar sitting in a dark corner with my hair ablaze, trying not to draw attention to myself. Even more important, I have quit soaking my head in combustible fluids and sitting near open flames. This is new behavior as well.

What I have, more or less, are Ferrari problems. I order a red Ferrari and get bent out of shape when the shipment is delayed, or it comes in yellow. It's still a Ferrari. I don't have too many of the same problems today that I had when I was practicing my black art. I have problems of prosperity. My problems are only possible because I am sober.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have Toyota Corolla problems. 2005 sport edition, with alloy wheels, spoiler, cd player. But shucks if the darn driver side window doesn't work. Do you realize how hard it is to go through a drive-thru with out a functioning window to buy a venti Starbucks? Or a drive-up ATM to withdrawl some spending money? My hair doesn't blow in the wind when I speed like it used to in my 1995Nissan...albeit blue smoke came out of the tailpipe, I had no hubcaps, and the enginge sounded like it was making popcorn out of pebbles. Did I mention that car got impounded? Gotta go, I have to make sure my auto insurance was deducted correctly via-online bill pay.