Monday, July 7, 2008

Orderly Transfer of Power

Will: Something wished by a person, especially by one with power or authority.

I definitely have a will. I definitely wish for a lot of things. I wish that I had the power and authority to get all of those things, I know that much. Initially, I struggled with what it meant to turn my will over to a Higher Power of some sort. This concept made a lot more sense when I started to equate my will with all of the stuff that I lusted after. All of those Porsches and casual sexual encounters with exciting and willing partners who I never had to see again. All of those bags of money and people working hard to make sure that I was comfortable.

Turning my will over to my Higher Power takes some work on my part. It takes a sustained effort. I have never had any luck turning my will over when I'm laying on the couch watching Gilligan's Island. This is an action which requires that I hand over all of my power to something else. It means that I relinquish this power. There is nothing passive about it.

Once again, I have some work to do.

No comments: