Monday, March 9, 2009

Serenity Stan

Yesterday Serenity Stan called to remind me that he had reached a significant milestone in his sobriety. He also said, and I quote: "I can't thank you enough for all of your unbelievably significant and profound help during this time. I was lost; yea, verily, lost I say! until you started taking my calls." (Fair disclosure: I'm lying. Maybe he thanked me. I'm not sure. I erase most people's messages as soon as I hear their voice, figuring that they aren't going to say anything that I find interesting. I didn't take his call, either. That's why god created call waiting.)


I thought: "Is this a great program or what? I don't even have the courtesy to remember my friend's anniversary and he calls to thank me." Yea! Yea for me!! If you don't think that's amazing, try it with your spouse's birthday this year. Don't buy a gift or a card; don't sing Happy Birthday; wait for her to thank you for being such a wonderful spouse. And videotape it, because this I want to see.


I guess the downside is that a few years back when someone came up to me and said: "What's wrong with Stan, anyhow?" I could say: "Well, he's new." After a few years I migrated to: "Well, he's pretty new." This evolved into: "He's got some tough stuff going on and he's trying pretty hard." Now I say: "Stan who?"

"Your're a bad sponsor. You can't post that." -- SuperK.


Happy anniversary, Stan.

No comments: