Monday, March 2, 2009

More

More: Greater in amount, quantity, or degree.

I know what's best for me in the long run. No doubt about it. That's a statement of fact. That's an indisputable truth, with a strong foundation and a long history of successful results. If I think it's going to work out well it's going to work out well. If I see storm clouds gathering on the horizon, then it shall rain upon my head. All I require is more money, more power, more sex. All I need to avoid is anything painful or unpleasant, or anything requiring any work or effort whatsoever.


I know better than my trusted friends, advisers, and sponsors in The Fellowship. I know better than God. Why would I make a bad decision concerning myself? I love myself, and would never willingly do anything that might cause me any pain or discomfort. For instance, I like money. I think that I should have a whole lot of it. I have never made a bad decision when it comes to material things. When I get what I want it's always in everyone's best interest, even if I have to trod upon your toes to get where I want to go.


Why in the world would I think that someone wiser than I am, maybe with more experience on a particular issue, maybe with more discretion and insight than I have, might be able to steer me in the right direction? Ridiculous. Why would I think that God, who rescued me from a miserable alcoholic existence, spiraling down into the bowels of Mordor, might want to take care of me in the long run? I hate the long run! I want the short run! I don't want to run at all! I don't even want to watch other people run!


God has not taken me this far to suddenly drop me on my head. I should be wearing my helmet anyhow.

No comments: