Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I Been Working on the Railroad

Riff: A melodic phrase, repeated again and again, often used as the main theme, as in a final chorus, or as background.

I find myself going back to a few ancient riffs over and over again. The longer I'm sober the more I can reduce what I need to do down to a couple of important things. I'm like an old guitarist, sinking into senility, unable to remember any of my favorite songs except for the opening cords of "Smoke on the Water" or "All Right Now."

I heard another great lead last night -- and aren't all of them great in some form or fashion? -- where the theme was Do The Work. It's amazing how often this comes up in meetings from people I admire, which means, I assume, that Doing The Work is important. I probably don't need to point out that I'm not big on work as a general rule. Instead of working The Steps I'd prefer to think about working The Steps. Thinking I'm good at. Work I'm not.

We're complicated folks trying to work a simple program.

No comments: