Saturday, December 1, 2012

Salty Snacks

Here's 25 years together . . . 

SuperK and I have been on the road for 3 days - 3 long days of driving, most of it the rain so far.  We get along great when we travel but 3 days in close quarters is enough to grate on anybody's nerves, especially when I'm one of the people in the close quarters.  I'm tough enough in distant quarters let alone close ones.  We got to our crappy hotel last night after long day 2.  I offered to walk over to the truck stop to buy a couple of sandwiches for dinner - either that or The Rainbow Room - as neither of us wanted to sit in a restaurant for an hour to get something to eat.  It wasn't even the restaurant at the truck stop - it was the gas station at the truck stop.

I didn't mind doing this.  I'm a pretty good husband.  I'm also annoying as hell most of the time.  The Agony and the Ecstasy, to coin a phrase.  (Note to self: if anyone ever offers to name a new party drug after me I'd like to use the name Agony).  

"Get some chips, too," said SuperK

I got some chips with the sandwiches.  I didn't think about the selections much but I have no doubt I got what I wanted.  I wasn't trying to be overly selfish but I did go get the sandwiches.  I was exhausted and I almost had a nervous breakdown trying to sort through all of the options on the crappy sandwiches.  Parsing the relative merits of 25 different kinds of chips was way beyond my powers of concentration.  I still had the 1000 yard stare from all of the driving.  I returned to the motel.

"I don't like these kinds of chips," said SuperK.

I declined to comment a wise declination.  Her comment really didn't bother me.  I was tired and so was she and I had no desire to start WW III over some crappy chips.  This is new behavior and this is also learned behavior.  This is why we've been together 25 years.  No WWs over salty snacks and such.

She apologized later.  She also ate the chips.

No comments: