Friday, December 21, 2012

On and On I Go

I'm really getting annoyed that I didn't start using the Crisis List earlier.  Here's an update about a situation that so falls in the category of "This is what you're complaining about?  Really?  No shit?"  It's a distressingly  large category for me; I don't have much to complain about.  Anyway, I left the New City and its winter weather and drove 1000 miles due south where the weather is . . . how shall I put this? . . . somewhat milder.  Actually, it's #$!! perfect.  I realize that anything I say after this is going to make me sound like the spoiled, ungrateful brat that I am.  

Anyway, we're staying in a ground floor apartment in a vacation rental.  For the first few weeks there were a couple of nice women and their noisy dog staying upstairs.  They worked so they weren't terribly loud but they weren't quiet, either.  They told us that they were leaving for another assignment and that someone else would be moving in after they left.  (Ed. Note: brilliant use of a redundant comment, probably meant to lengthen what is already a fairly boring post - was there any confusion that the new people would move in before they left?)   The point here, if I can relocate it, is that I immediately put this on the Crisis List: New neighbors would be noisy.   I imagined a bunch of drunken college students blasting Metallica at 2 AM and peeing off the deck into my backyard.

I met the new neighbor yesterday.   She arrived in a Volvo.  She's my age - and I'm old - and she is here because her extremely pregnant daughter is close to delivering her first child.  To recap: I have a lovely middle-aged woman who is going to be at her daughter's house visiting until she becomes a grandmother, at which point she'll be helping to care for a newborn.  I don't believe that I'll see her much and I bet she's going to be tired when she's here.

This is what I worried about.  This is what I wasted my time worrying about.

No comments: