Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Crisis!


I was battling some free-floating anxiety yesterday.  This means that I was feeling anxious about some things that weren't actually real.  They sure weren't likely to happen.  It was my fevered brain struggling to come up with problems.  I didn't have any problems so I made some shit up.  It’s what comes naturally to me: Problems.

So I trot out my trusty Crisis List and wrote down the things that were bothering me.  It helps me visualize what’s going on and makes me write down what I think the solution is.  But yesterday I could be bothered to even write down the Crises, preferring instead to let the anxiety free-float to its little heart’s content.  I did decide to get up this morning and write down the anxiety makers but I couldn't remember one of them.  It was obviously quite important and pressing.

The second one was for something that hasn't happened yet and probably won’t happen – it falls into the category of “Imagining the Worst Possible Scenario Even Though That Is Damned Unlikely To Happen.”  It’s a very popular scenario in the Seaweed household.  In fact, it may be the most popular scenario.  I can’t think of anything more popular than imagining problems where no problems exist.

The third and last category was total bullshit.  The solution I wrote down was this: “Really?  Really?”  I couldn't believe that I even had this as a problem.  It was in the category of My Ferrari isn't working well problems.

Restless guy.  I would have been one of the dudes on a wagon trail getting scalped and freezing and starving to death a hundred and fifty years ago.  I would have left a reasonable existence 

No comments: