Saturday, December 15, 2012

Missing the Whole Point

If you want to improve your meditation skills taking a meditation class is frankly missing the whole point.  It's like taking a class entitled: Excess Class Attendance: Breaking the Vicious Cycle.  It's like being late for a class on how not to be late for class.  Don't study it - just do it.  Just practice it.  I don't mean to suggest that a class can't be a good idea but it's a tough place to start.  If you want to relax don't buy 10 books on relaxation technique and read them as fast as you can, keeping a notepad handy to outline each chapter, giving yourself tests and Surprise! pop quizzes.  This is why you can't relax.  Relaxing is not doing something.  Stressing on proper meditation technique is the anti-meditation.  

Do they give grades in meditation class?  If so, do they grade on the curve?  Are you competing with other people in the class for good grades?  Do you study for hours, eyeing the competition?  I'm so competitive I'd try to screw with other people so that they would fail and I'd improve my class standing - I'd tap my foot irregularly or compulsively clear my throat to try to knock the competition off it's game.  I wouldn't care if I sucked at meditation - just as long as I was better than you.  How am I going to get into a good Ivy League college and earn my master's in meditation if I'm not at the top of my class?

I'm getting jacked thinking about it.

No comments: