Monday, December 10, 2012

Recovery Is Like a Shark

Yesterday SuperK and I went to a meeting that I had scoped out.  I had the time right but the location wrong and the location is a very, very important part of a normal, effective scoping out.  For most people this would be a failed operation but one out of two is a pretty good average for me.  SuperK was fazed for not one second.

There was an older guy already standing outside the meeting place; we introduced ourselves and exchanged pleasantries.  Don started talking.  He had 35 years of sobriety but drank again when his wife died two years ago - he was back at his second meeting.

We talked for a while or rather Don talked at us.  If you're looking for a good sounding reason to drink, a justified reason, losing your wife of 50 years to leukemia isn't too bad as terrible, awful, horrible reasons go.  I'm not able to speak to the kind of program he was working before his wife died but I'm going to assume it wasn't the best.  It was a good reminder talking to him.  

Recovery is like a shark - it has to be constantly moving forward or it dies.

I gave myself credit for a meeting.

No comments: