Thursday, January 19, 2012

Dr. Freud, I Presume

Ego:  The self; the individual as aware of himself.


"The fact is we are more selfish than we know.  The ego has a way of turning the loftiest activities into trash if it is allowed free range."  Minor Buddha.


Free Range Ego.  That sounds like something your waiter, Samuel, would introduce as the special of the day at a health food restaurant.  "Today we're featuring free range ego with sauteed tofu and caramelized cranberries, for $19.99,"  he'd say.


And the free range ego is the good part of the individual, psychologically speaking.  It's the controlled part, helping the superego keep check on the id, the part of us that is chomping at the bit to run hog wild with all of the sex and pleasure and shit that itches it where the scratch is.  I'm not even sure I have an ego.  I think I'm all id.  I think my id killed my ego and ate its liver with a nice side of fava beans.


The point is that I don't usually trust myself when it comes to things that I think are good.  I'm OK with the bad part; when I'm not acting well I know it and I don't have to check it with anyone.  But when I think I'm behaving well or something is good for me I have to check my ego at the door and call someone on the telephone, tell them what I'm up to, which is usually no good.



No comments: