Sunday, January 29, 2012

Biting and Tearing With My Teeth

Worry:  To harass or treat roughly with or as with continual biting or tearing with the teeth; as, the dog was worrying the old shoe.  (Ed. note: The origin of this word is based on the root wyrgan, to strangle, injure).


So I've been worrying away over an issue that shouldn't be worrying me in the slightest.  I know this intellectually but can't transfer the knowledge from my head into my gut, where the worry has built a nice house and seems to be settling in for the long haul.  Sometimes I think we have to let our emotions do what they're going to do for a while.  That's why they're emotions, after all.  They're not always strongly synced up with the intellect.  None of us can brush off a trauma such as the death of a loved one or ignore the thrill of a big promotion simply by exerting the conscious will.  


That's all well and good.  The problem is that sometimes this disconnect seeps down into things that should be disconnected upon with great prejudice.

No comments: