Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Timing is Everything

Silence: The state or fact of keeping silent; a refraining from speech or the making of noise.

I was chatting with Serenity Stan yesterday about how difficult it is to determine, in any particular situation, when we need to act and when we need to wait patiently and let life proceed on its own terms. We debated the facts, exchanged ideas, pondered great mysteries and arcane truths, and tried to unravel the secret of successful living. And, once again decided that, in most cases, our lives would be better if we sealed our mouths with duct tape and sat quietly in a corner for the rest of the day. I can't remember where my car keys are half of the time. I'm going to solve your problems for you? I don't think so.

Here's a general recap of our conclusions:
Would I be better off if I did nothing? Yes.
Would things work out better if I didn't say a word? Yes, they would.
If I talk or act in any manner whatsoever, do I see an improvement in the lives of others? Not very often.

But in those instances where I do need to act the trick is getting the timing right. I have to make sure that I'm not agitated or upset. I need to consider the circumstances of others. Stan wanted to make a point -- a very good, justified point that needed to be made-- to a sleep deprived significant other. He was facing long odds that this was going to work out well.

Seal those lips.

No comments: