Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Death Beds!

Death Bed: The bed on which a person dies.

I was contemplating the Death Bed experience during my Quiet Time this morning. While I'm very proud of the fact that I always take the time for prayer and meditation to start my day, you can see that it isn't always very effective. I was thinking about the contention that no one ever laid on their Death Bed and said: "I wish I had spent more time at the office" or "I wish I had done a better job with my lawn." I personally don't think there is any way to know that for sure. Maybe somebody really liked their lawn. Is there a book somewhere with Death Bed confessions listed? Who knows what crap people come up with when they are near death.


The belief is that most people that have regrets are thinking that they should have spent more time with their family or volunteering at a soup kitchen. I'm not that thrilled with my family, to be honest with you, and the thought of soup first thing in the morning makes me nauseous. I would do better in a bread line. You can eat bread for any meal, even breakfast. Toast it up with some butter -- it's delicious.


The idea of a Death Bed experience is not comforting to me. If I'm on my Death Bed, I'm going to be screaming: "Help! Help! Get me out of here!" I can't imagine that I'm going to be pondering different philosophical questions. I'm going to be trying to cut a deal with the Devil, assuming I can pull the old switcheroo and escape the Death Bed but still keep my hands on my soul, which seems like an important thing to keep track of.


And what if I die in a plane crash or fall out of a tall building? No Death Bed experience there. I'm going to assume that I will be kicking and screaming then, too. "Don't lean out that window," she said. "You might fall to your death," she said. Always nagging me, that woman.


Honestly, I'm not that informed on Death Beds. Maybe there is a room in every hospital specifically set aside for the Death Bed experience. That's a room I'd want to stay out of. They couldn't possibly stick you with a roommate in the Death Bed room, could they?


Actually, I was thinking about how frustrated I get from time to time at the mundane aspects of life. I overlook the simple accomplishments and true pleasures to focus on the fleeting excitements that I crave so much.

"No one here gets out alive." -- Jim Morrison.

No comments: