Friday, October 24, 2008

Writing About Thinking

I: The person speaking or writing: I is the nominative case form, me the objective, my and mine the possessive, and myself the intensive and reflexive, of the first person singular pronoun.


I don't know what any of that definition means but I do love the concept of everything being about me. Starting out with "I," moving quickly to "me," sloshing over into "my" and "mine," and finishing with a big rhetorical flourish: Myself! These are all good topics. I can't find fault with any of them. I would be hard pressed to discover a more powerful definition in my beloved Websters.


I walk around all day thinking about myself. I don't think about anybody else unless I'm mad at someone, which is most of the time, at which point my thoughts turn decidedly malevolent. As if this embarrassing lack of concern for my fellow man isn't bad enough, I am constantly stunned to find out that you aren't thinking about me, too. Not only am I'm obsessed with myself, I think that you should be obsessed with me as well.


I Think, therefore I Am.

No comments: