Friday, October 3, 2008

Into Thinking

Think: To use the mind for arriving at conclusions, making decisions, drawing inferences, etc.

When I first entered The Program, I was dismayed to see a series of short, almost idiotic slogans that were apparently meant to solve my astonishingly difficult problems. Staying in the moment, keeping my nose out of other people's business, allowing God to run the universe all by himself, without my constant input -- this advice might work for my simple minded colleagues but not for someone with my massive intellect and uncanny insight.

I was overjoyed to see one placard reading "Think, Think, Think." Finally, something I was good at. There was nothing quite as productive as sitting down in front of a TV, with plenty of alcohol and drugs, and thinking. I had the solutions. I solved the problems. I fell asleep with a lit cigarette. I couldn't remember anything that I came up with the night before.

I'm not sure what the fascination with thinking is. Maybe it's my way of demonstrating my superiority to the beasts of the earth, the fowl of the sky, and all of the fishes and things that slither on the ground. Who, by the way, seem to make it through the day without the aid of a case of beer. I'm so engrossed in thought that I'm lucky I don't get walk out into the street and get hit by a truck.

I am still looking for the chapters entitled "Into Thinking" and "How It Works -- By Thinking!"

No comments: