Monday, October 13, 2008

Give It Up

Give: To turn over the possession or control of to someone without cost or exchange; hand over as a gift.


Giving is not a concept that I am intimately familiar with. Uh oh -- I think I'm lying right out of the chute. I couldn't even make it through my first sentence without lying. I don't mean to do it. My intentions are good. I don't like to be a liar. It's just that it's a wonderful talent of mine. I'm a natural. I'm a prodigy. Tiger Woods was a golf prodigy -- Horseface Steve is a lying prodigy. I was lying at an eighth grade level before I started kindergarten. There is a some very, very powerful piece of my brain that takes over the controls as soon as it sees the slightest opening to advance my agenda of: More Power! More Money!! More Sex!!!


Where was I before I started lying? I was thinking of admitting privately, in a very quiet voice, when no one was around, in an uninhabited corner of the world, that I don't have a passing acquaintance with the concept of giving. First of all, I don't like turning over the possession of any of my stuff to anyone. Even the stuff I have stolen or acquired using questionable tactics. And then to give it up without getting anything in return? I actively seek out people who do this. They are what I call an "easy mark." I get something and don't have to give anything.


I call this Winning at Life.



No comments: