Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Dark Side

Negative: A word, term, or phrase that denies, rejects, or refuses (e.g., no, not, by no means).


Let's go ahead and see if that word applies to me at all, in any area of my life, by any stretch of the imagination. I have a negative attitude. I refuse to look on the bright side of things. I don't want to try anything new. I project disaster into the future. I don't like anybody or anything. My back hurts and I think I'm coming down with something. The whole world is fucked up and things are getting worse.

That sounds like me. I think I qualify.


The guy I visited in the hospital -- the one who had a major surgical procedure -- is an irrepressible optimist. People like that should be wiped off the face of the earth. They are abominations of nature. I made the trip with another old high school friend who is the polar opposite: a natural pessimist. A true soul mate and also someone who should be eliminated from our world. Pessimists are too way depressing to be around. No wonder I didn't have any friends when I was drinking.


It was a weird out of body experience for me. I was torn between my natural state -- the projection of doom, gloom, and utter disaster to every part of the world -- and my fake new persona as someone who trusts in a higher power to keep taking me to a better and better place. Man, is it comfortable to slip back into decay. It's work to be happy.

No comments: