Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I Don't Need No Doctor

Overdose: Too large a dose; to dose to excess.

Sometimes I have a tendency to throw Meetings at my problems. The Program has been such a powerful force for good in my life that it's easy to assume that if I don't feel quite right that a Meeting will make me feel better. Luckily for me, this is true a lot of the time. It was especially true when I was starting my recovery and had a lot of free time. Drinking is very time consuming. I was drinking, getting something to drink, recovering from drinking too much, sleeping it off, staring insensate at a TV while I was drunk, etc. etc. It was important for me to go to a lot of Meetings. I have a very active mind. I need to keep it busy.


However, I have been known to overdo it. Imagine that. Sometimes things aren't going to go my way. Sometimes I'm just not going to feel very good. I can get depressed or bitchy. I have stuff happen in my life that is naturally upsetting. I don't get to avoid being a human being. If I break my leg, I don't need to go to a Meeting. I need to go see a doctor. Acceptance is not the answer to this particular problem. The emergency room is a better answer.

Let's be reasonable here.

No comments: