Monday, December 1, 2008

The Serenity Prayer Unabridged

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
Courage to change the things that I can.
And wisdom to know the difference.



OK, fair enough. The Serenity Prayer as we know it, which was called The Acceptance Prayer when Reinhold Niebuhr wrote it in the early 30s. Sorry, Program-oids, but Bill Wilson didn't have anything to do with this one. Pretty irritating but most of us have coughed it out once or twice, even though praying for serenity, courage, and wisdom to be more accepting seems to be a waste of good prayer time.

Did you know there is more? The long version. Kind of like Inna Gadda Da Vida.

Living one day at a time.
Accepting hardship as a pathway to Peace.
Taking this sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it.
Trusting
that You will make all things right
If I surrender to your will,
So that I may be
Reasonably happy

In this life and
Supremely happy with You forever in the next.

I did perform a couple of minor edits, removing an overtly religious word or two, even though Reverend Niebuhr was an ordained Protestant evangelical, who could reasonably be expected to talk about religious matters. Like most people in the world, in my humble opinion, he is not "doing it right."

I'm going to eyeball this train wreck a little more closely.



No comments: