Monday, December 1, 2008

I Can't Hear You If I'm Talking

Hear: To listen to and consider; specifically, to take notice of; pay attention to.

Being a judgemental, self-righteous, know-it-all spiritual giant, it's awfully difficult for me to find anyone who can help me in any manner whatsoever. And I'm comfortable including any God, Higher Power, or Supreme Being of the Universe in this rather broad statement. I'm pretty much OK on my own.

That being said I do try to pay attention at meetings long enough to pick up at least one or two things that I can put to practical use in my life. It's not easy. I don't have too many questions. I have a lot of answers, mainly. Good answers, too, not just stuff that I've made up. There's not too much that I don't know and even less that I'll seek advice for.

Acceptance can be as simple as showing unconditional love by listening to others speak. I can't listen when I'm talking. I can't listen when I'm preparing my speech. I can learn new things when I listen to what others say, and this includes people that annoy or irritate me from time to time, which is pretty much everybody, especially people who remind me of myself. These people are poisonous.

No comments: