Saturday, December 6, 2008

It's Not as Complicated as I Make It

Happy: Favored by circumstances; lucky; fortunate.

I spend a lot of time trying to get happy, wondering if I'm happy right now, and planning for future happiness. It is my second favorite pursuit. Nothing gets anywhere near my interest in avoiding pain. That's the 800 lb. gorilla in the room. Pain beats the shit out of happy. I would much rather escape the clutches of pain than be cradled in the soft blanket of happiness. Little kids are happy. Puppies are happy. They just are -- they don't have to spend every waking minute trying to be happy, like I do, except when I'm not running like hell from pain.

Every now and then I'm grateful for The Program. It doesn't come easily but I do get there from time to time. The Program has provided me with quite a good road map for achieving some of that reasonable happiness. And, to my great surprise, it's not the accumulation of sex, money, and power, despite the strong urges that I have to get a lot of that stuff.

People that are happy have a logical sense of what the world is all about. They have a concept of a power greater than themselves. They are part of a community of people that think life is made up of more than the pursuit of self-interest. They have some regard for their mental, emotional, and physical health. They try to do things for the common good, to think of others, to help others.

Where in the world can I find some people like that?

No comments: