Wednesday, December 3, 2008

More Bad News

Hardship: Hard circumstances of life; a thing hard to bear; specific cause of discomfort or suffering, as poverty, pain, etc.

"Accepting hardship as a pathway to Peace."


I personally would rather be infused with peace while I sleep. I want to be struck peaceful. I want peace to hit me like a Mack truck. I want to find myself in a bright beam of white light, and then feel an overwhelming sense of peace. This seems to be the simplest and least painful way to get some peace. I don't want to suffer to gain some peace of mind. Who comes up with this stuff? Hardship? Discomfort? Pain? Let's string that guy up by his ankles and watch him turn blue.


This Reinhold Niebuhr guy really wants to lodge a chicken bone in my craw. I'm all about the not suffering. That's my whole philosophy of life: avoiding pain. This is why a lot of us move from beer to hard liquor, or from weed to crack. We want to feel better -- a LOT better -- RIGHT NOW. We don't want to suffer so that we can be reasonably happy. We don't want to suffer at all. Ever. For any reason. We don't want suffering to interfere with euphoria. We prefer euphoria. When given a choice, we always pick euphoria.

I think if I write the word euphoria once more, it'll be a little over the top.

Euphoria.

No comments: