Monday, September 22, 2008

Mob Rule

Meditation: Solemn reflection on sacred matters as a devotional act; deep, continued thought; reflection.

My mind is like a huge gymnasium filled with insane people screaming at the top of their lungs, barely in control of their faculties. They are screaming for revenge, murder, justice. They want more sex. They are hungry and thirsty and tired. They have been treated poorly and they know who is to blame and they are out to exact payment for these slights and insults. They don't think. They never think. They wake up screaming and they scream all day until they fall asleep, exhausted, and have terrible, awful nightmares. This is why they wake up screaming.

Meditation is like trying to get everyone to settle down. I have a comfortable chair in a quiet room. I sit down and close my eyes and try to silence the fury of this murderous mob. It's almost never a fair fight. Maybe once or twice have I gotten the entire gym to play nice. Most of the time the mob is in control. Sometimes I get a section or two to calm down. But it's a big crowd and they're pretty worked up.

My Higher Power hands out a lot of gold stars and smiley faces for any effort whatsoever. God knows this is hard. A lot of good things come from the effort.

No comments: