Monday, September 29, 2008

Go Ahead -- Try to Stump Me

Answer: A solution to a problem.

I have finally reached a stage in my Advanced Sobriety where I have all of the answers. There is no situation, occurrence, happenstance, or conundrum that I do not have the ability to solve, all by myself, with no help from anyone. Moreover, my solutions are now invariably correct. I answer quickly and with assurance. I never waver in my judgment. I walk into my future boldly, with a strong gait, a steady purpose, and a spine of steel. I ask myself: Who knows better than me?

I trip immediately and fall on my face, dropping my cup of coffee and breaking my nose. In a flash of insight, which I am doomed to repeat every day, like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, it comes to me: Oh, yeah, everyone knows better than me.

My basic instincts have gone awry. My decision making machinery is infested with rats and termites and has picked up a nasty computer virus called The Evil Hand of Doom, which originated somewhere in the former Czech Republic. I now try to base my decision making on this simple bit of advice: if I want to do something, then I probably shouldn't do it, and if I don't want to do something, then it's probably something that I should do.

I have found it most helpful to check out my thinking with other people.

No comments: