Friday, September 19, 2008

I Am Not A Liar

Liar: A person who states that something is true which he knows is untrue; person who tells lies.

Sometimes, when I'm thinking, which is something that I should never do, something which should be banned by the government and condemned by Papal fiat, something which runs counter to all known laws of man and beast, I wonder why I try to act well. Sometimes I even try to get honest with myself. This is pretty rare because it's a lot easier to lie about things that make me uncomfortable than to try to get at their root causes, because then I would have to face some hard facts and make some difficult changes. I prefer quick solutions and half measures to any kind of work. This is especially true when the work involves correcting some character defect which makes me happy, like gluttony or lust or anger.


On a side note, I hosted a surprise birthday party for my wife a few months back. I had to perform some quite extensive lying to accomplish this and was pleased to see how easily I regained my ability to look someone right in the eye and say something that isn't true. Years of drinking permit most of us to develop into proficient liars. I believe that I could pass a lie detector test. Some stupid machine operated by a run of the mill flunky wouldn't pose much of a threat to a liar like me. I would have been a good spy. I would have been a great politician.

I've forgotten what I started out to say this morning. Maybe it'll come back to me.

No comments: