Sunday, May 18, 2008

Something Else

Reality: existing or happening as or in fact; actual, true, objectively so; not merely seeming, pretended, imagined, fictitious, nominal, or ostensible.

Today is it. Today is all that I have. One Day at a Time is one of our most profound slogans. It can be one of our most profoundly irritating slogans as well. I have never been all that comfortable in the here and now. I would prefer to be surfing on ahead to some strange and wondrous future where implausible things are happening. I labor under the sneaking suspicion that I'm not doing the right thing. I'm sure that if I was doing something else it would be better.

Life doesn't work very well for me when I'm living in an alternate reality. Sometimes I get to the end of a day, and I can barely remember how I've spent my time. I'm so engaged in thinking that I don't pay attention to what's happening. The truth of the matter is that I've done enough thinking to last a thousand lifetimes. I'm not even that good at it. My thinking is all weird and twisted and negative. You would think that if I was going to spend every waking hour thinking about stuff that is never going to happen that I would be better at it.

Take a deep breath and look around.

No comments: