Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Alone Again, Naturally

Isolate: To set apart from others; place alone.

When I find myself troubled by some problem or situation, I find it very helpful to lock the doors, pull the blinds, unplug the phone, and spend some time with myself. Do a lot of thinking and musing and pondering, preferably in the dark. The strength of my massive intellect and profound insights on life permit me this indulgence. I don't need to receive advice from others. My thinking is clear and correct, and it leads to perfectly balanced decisions.

Or not.

Alcoholism is a disease of isolation. My alcoholism nods its head when I'm alone, and this has been true even in my sobriety. I don't think well. Weird stuff comes up and makes sense to me. My thinking is better than it was with a brain full of drugs and alcohol but it still isn't all that sound. I need to talk to other recovering alcoholics on a daily basis. I need this counterpoint to myself.

If I'm alone I'm in a bad neighborhood.

No comments: