Thursday, May 1, 2008

Open Your Eyes

Blessing: Anything that gives happiness or prevents misfortune.

Alcoholics have a deep-seated intrinsic fear of the present. I'm not sure why this is so. The present for someone in recovery is almost always pretty pleasant and, when it isn't, we have the tools to deal with whatever comes our way. I haven't been overwhelmed by anything yet. I mean really overwhelmed. I complain about having too many phone calls to make at work or having to choose between waxing one of my nice cars or cutting the grass in the yard of my nice house full of food in the United States of America. These are not problems. These are gifts. Only an alcoholic can turn a blessing into a tragedy. "Omigod, I'm not going to have enough time today to wax the car and cut the grass. Where's that fifth of whiskey?"

Today I vow to get my head out of my grass and take a look around. This is the good stuff. I've left the bad stuff behind. Stay out of the future, full of demons and termites. Stay out of the past, littered with throw-up and burning bridges. Prepare for what may come, to the best of my ability. Clean up my messes whenever I can. And quit ignoring all of the blessings that God showers right onto the top of my ungrateful head.

No comments: