Thursday, April 28, 2016

Simple Minds

I haven't had the extra time or presence of mind to do all of the stuff I normally get to do as regards my recovery.   That's not an excuse - that's a fact.  If your house is burning down and your kitty is inside you have my permission to miss your regular noon meeting and save the cat.

I got to a meeting today.  I'm having what passes for a Quiet Time in the morning.  You can fucking forget about sitting for a formal meditation - my insides are trying to jump out through my skin, probably an indicator that a formal meditation would be very helpful.  The 1000 lb phone, however, has been remarkably light.

I caught up with Willie right out of the chute this morning, and I knew what was going to be coming my way.  His brother died not long ago and when he called me during that event I had nuthin'. 

You're doing great.
This sucks.
Life can be hard.
Death is a pain in the ass.
Etc. etc. etc.

Good stuff for the dispenser but a little tough to swallow for the dispensee.  Dude should have recorded the tripe I was laying out, set the phone down this morning, and hit Play.

Not the point, is it?  The point is a willing ear stuck to the head of a trusted friend.  It's amazing the consistency of the advice, though, and how basic it is.  "Breathe" is very popular.  Look up and away.  Sit down for a minute and listen to the birds.  

Simple solutions for complicated minds.

No comments: