Sunday, April 3, 2016

I'm Not A Cheater

Consistent:  Of a regularly occurring, dependable nature.

Mulling over the stuff on our anniversary (or birthday, depending on where you live) coins.  I get one every year and then promptly lose it.  My 27 year anniversary coin is currently in Bergen, Norway, to the great amusement of the young couple that rented us a couple of rooms for a couple of nights.  One side states: "Recovery - Unity - Service," and god, I hope that's what it really says because I'm not going to Bergen to get my coin back just so I can verify something that no one is going to bother to check, anyway.  The other side suggests: "To Thine Own Self Be True," which I really like despite the fact that we use language that would be more appropriate in Victorian England.  I live in Vacation City, for god's sake.  How about: "Be True to Yourself?" 

Anyway, my sister is back in The Old City and I am firmly out of the loop in what's going on with my father.  For a guy who almost never makes a mistake I do spend some time each day reviewing my day to make sure I correct any mistakes I may have made - as rare as this may be -  and I've done this regarding my behavior with my father.  I feel like a jerk some of the time when I mull over how I behave, sort of cold and calculating and clinical.  I feel like I'm forced into a position where I have to deal with errant children or insane people. I feel like the bad guy when I tell someone: "No, you can't have candy for dinner" and, believe me, I'm a guy who can totally get behind the candy-for-dinner movement.  I have the cavities and crowns to prove it.

The point is - if there's a point in here somewhere - that I don't think my behavior surprises people any more.  I think I'm consistent.  People don't say: "Wow.  I didn't see that coming" when they're discussing my behavior.  I'm not saying that everyone likes my behavior or that my behavior is unfailingly, unflinchingly exemplary but rather that it's consistent.  I have an internal code of ethics that I adhere to

I listened to an interview with a college basketball coach yesterday who had been temporarily suspended for breaking some rule or other.  In a national press conference that was being recorded by thousands of digital recording devices he spent some time explaining that his suspension wasn't for cheating - it was for breaking the rules.   He did this with a straight face.  I bet the needle on a lie detector wouldn't have budged when he was saying this ridiculous crap. 

I didn't cheat - I broke the rules.  That is priceless.  I'm going to try to convince my dad that he should maybe not drink vodka in the morning if he doesn't want to be in the position of waiting for a test report?  I don't think so.

No comments: