Saturday, April 16, 2016

Big Dude Society

I'll tell you what's amazing: a middle-aged man who has a ton of other middle-aged men that he can talk to about anything.  This is a rare thing in our Big Dude society and I'm grateful to be able to dip into this well.  I've talked every day for the last several days with someone about the dad saga and with guys who know me well.  Today I had a long chat with a woman friend after my meditation meeting.  I've gotten all kinds of great advice but mostly I've gotten sober, balanced, measured, dispassionate perspective.  I feel pretty good about my behavior.  I'm in a tight spot where it's going to be hard to feel really good about everything but all in all I think I'm doing OK.

I'm on a plane in a couple of days for a two week stay in The Old City.  I'm not sure what's going to come of this trip - there's a lot of stuff I'd like to accomplish but I believe the main thing is to sit with my dad and to take some of the pressure off of my long-suffering sister.


No comments: