Thursday, January 28, 2016

THEN I'd Be Happy

I have a friend in town this week who is having a rough time of it.  I don't mean that life is dealing him some harsh blows - to the contrary, he's on the top of the heap by most measures - but that isn't having any luck in maneuvering the entire universe into the positions that he has pre-selected, at which point everyone in the entire universe would be very, very happy.  How familiar does that sound, Mr. and Mrs. Director?  

Still, I've heard quite a bit about how bad he has it when we've gotten together.  I'm a little worn out by it.  It's amazing sometimes to see people create a situation, refuse to alter their behavior or attitude to deal with the situation differently, and then to ponder away about what has gone wrong.  In a much more benign sense it reminds me of what it's like trying to explain to someone who keeps getting DUIs that it's not the jails or the courts or the police that's the problem, that the situation doesn't lie in changing the legal system.

The power of acceptance.  The power of expectations.  If only this or that person would do what I want THEN I'd be happy.

No comments: