Saturday, January 2, 2016

It's A Small World After All

Boy, the world is getting smaller and smaller.  I remember my first few trips where it was impossible to find an ATM and very few people spoke English.  There are more ATMs on my street than people, all of whom can get by in English.  It makes it a lot easier.

On one of my first trips to South America with Little Westside Jonny we hired a dude in a cab to drive us all over creation.  At the end of the day he took us to an ATM to get cash.  We did not get any cash.  He took us to another one, not that close to the first one.  We did not get cash again.  He took us to a third ATM, probably sweating a little and cursing a lot more.  We did get the cash there although my recollection is that my card didn't work and LWSJ's did.  I hope we gave him a big tip.  I'm sure we did.

You know how you get an awful song stuck in your head and the only way to get rid of it is to infect someone else?  I jotted down a note for this blog several days ago - I kept running into the title "Small World" and infected myself about 87 times.

My impression is that the world is going to have trouble keeping up with what we're doing to it.  This is not a big city and it is not in a developed area, by any sense, it is a mess - polluted, overcrowded, run over.  I can't get the sight of those zoo animals sitting in their cages while a line of diesel-spewing pick-up trucks stretched into infinity.  I hope we know what we're doing.  It doesn't seem so right now.

No comments: