Sunday, January 10, 2016

Selfie-Stick

I have been amazed at the selfies curse that seems to have struck mankind.  I understand that people want to have pictures of themselves and to have pictures of themselves at specific times and places - we all have a need to leave a legacy, we all want to be able to say: "Yes, I have been there."  But I have never seen so many people taking so many pictures of themselves.  I have watched individuals snap a dozen pictures of beautiful sites but only after holding up a selfie-stick, positioning themselves carefully, smiling, posing, mugging, it's all disgusting.  I can only imagine what it must be like to see a hundred pictures of a smiling person mostly obscuring a thousand year old temple behind him.  I'm tempted to suggest to someone: "Hey, have your photo professionally taken - good lighting, staging, and film - then post this picture on the first page of your photo album.  Then, if someone wants to see your face in every fucking picture they can just flip back to the first page as often as they want."  I have not done this yet.

No comments: