Thursday, January 7, 2016

Bangkok

So about 9PM last night, tired after a long day of travel, in our new, much quieter room one floor up, slightly to the right, we noticed, after much concentration and discussion, that there was an OPEN AIR, LIVE MUSIC BAR across the street.  I sit here this morning, slightly stunned, that the concierge could take the time to move us to a new room while saying "this will be quieter."  That guy must be an alcoholic to have developed the ability to lie like that while maintaining composure and keeping a straight face.  I don't mean you could hear the sounds of the music through our closed door - you could hear the music.  I know some of us can fall asleep with the TV on but I'm not one of those people.  This was like hooking up earbuds and playing, at an elevated level, some crappy, bass-heavy, drum-obsessed pop music.

I went downstairs to ask, very politely, about the music and when it would stop.  Midnight was the answer.  The young woman there mentioned something about being fully-booked and . . . hmmm . . . our stay was a pretty long one.  I booked the hotel and paid for the room for six nights three months ago.  I would have hoped that this degree of foresight would have bought me a little consideration when the rooms were being doled out.

This, I think, is Bangkok.  I think this is what it's going to be.  I think that fighting this fight would only put me in the loser's corner.  Bangkok has me down on the ground, leather jack-boot on my throat, and I'm still trying to figure out if there's a move I can make to get the upper hand. 

A smarter man would say no.

No comments: