Saturday, January 30, 2016

St. Somebody

The same day that I went to see my megaphone cousin I stopped for coffee at my local Starbucks.  I was behind a woman who had ordered a drink and was trying to pay for it.  She had a bunch of coins splayed out on the counter.  I waited patiently behind her - the woman behind the counter watched patiently.  After a minute or so the woman scooped the coins up, apologized, and said she'd head out to her car to get the rest of the money.  She wandered off.

I ordered my drink, pondered a bit, then took all of the change I had clanging around in my man-purse, and offered it to her.

"How much do you need?" I asked.  40 cents.

She thanked me profusely and repeatedly, the last time yelling her gratitude across the store.

"Eh," I said. "I try to do one nice thing a year."

The employee at the store, who knows me said: "You're always good."

I appreciated the fact that she thinks so.  I also was a little alarmed about the possibility that I was spending too much time in her store.

What a wonderful man I am!  SO wonderful!!

Later, outside, this woman stopped by my table.  She seemed a little unfocused inside, a little not-all-there. 

"I have something for you," she said.

Religious pamphlets.  D'oh!

I definitely did not try to get my money back.

No comments: