Friday, January 15, 2016

Finding The Worst In Every Situation? My Specialty!

Because it's never, ever good enough for me . . . 

I've been mulling over the independent travel versus guided tour dynamics.  Should you not give a shit about such matters, I feel ya.  However, the point is this is just another example of my finding fault with what is and looking for redemption in what is not.  Or maybe it's a fine example of my ability to sit back and look dispassionately at the good and bad of every aspect of my life.  Probably not the latter but you never know.

When I was with the tour group I noticed a certain reduction in stress.  I figured I was seeing the things that should be seen, the best things, and I didn't have to worry about finding the place in a new city or getting home when I was foot-weary and tired.  That being said I sometimes felt that the things I saw were a bit of a stretch, things that, on my own, I would have opted not to see.  Like: "Really?  This is worth it?"  Things that felt like "authentic" experiences set up in a theme park-like setting.

When I was on my own I had to deal with the logistics of finding places, navigating money matters and lines, making long walks home or trying to figure out how to deal with cabs, tuk-tuks, or sung daos, just figuring out what was worth seeing and what wasn't.  Plus, there's the great experience of discovering something on my own, sometimes by accident, places that weren't on the tourist circuit.  I noticed in Bangkok that the tuk-tuk drivers who were constantly badgering kept suggesting places that, once we found them, weren't that compelling.  It was always so great to find a cool, out-of-the-way site and notice that we were the only tourists there.

Which is best?  Both have their advantages.  I hope that I was able to see the good in each.

No comments: