Thursday, January 7, 2016

Armpit

Armpit: 1. The cavity beneath the junction of the arm and shoulder; somewhere or something considered unpleasant or undesirable.

It is hot as shit here.  I mean it is scary hot and I like hot weather.  I don't know how people survive in this heat.  There are actually air-conditioned buses and non-air-conditioned buses.  Not that I'm going to get on a bus here but it's still interesting.

I can't take a country seriously that doesn't have soap, toilet paper, and some way to dry off your hands after you've gone to the bathroom.  This is especially egregious when I'm in a restaurant.  If the cook takes a crap and then can't wash his hands . . . well . . .   And I'm not particularly fussy about that kind of stuff.  I can pee in a hole.  I can pee in an open-air restroom.  I can pee with a woman cleaning the urinal next to me.  But I'd like to see the kitchen staff washing their hands.

We got to Bangkok today.  I don't trust myself on travel days as a general rule.  I'm tired; I'm disoriented; I'm culture-shocked, so I find everything a bit not-up-to-snuff.  My normal rule is to go to bed and get up after I've rested.  That being said I'm going with the word "armpit" to describe my initial impression.  

I booked our room three months ago.  I didn't book the most expensive room but I paid the hotel far, far in advance.  We open the window and look directly at a huge, lit 7-11 convenience store sign right outside, one story up from Chaos Street.  Someone isn't going to sleep tonight.  I complained sweetly.  They moved us one room up and one room over.  I can only see 2/3rds of the sign now and can't make out every word being spoken on the street although I can get the jist of most conversations.

Perhaps I should go to bed now.  It will all be better tomorrow.  Not that it's that bad right now.

No comments: