Monday, March 2, 2015

Funeral Number One

The weirdness of a funeral . . . 

It is, I understand, a human tradition of long-standing to formalize death.  I guess it helps us understand it or finalize things or gain closure.  As in, "there's my loved one in a casket and now they're closing the lid."

I enjoyed seeing a lot of people I hadn't seen in a long time: friends of my sister, neighbors from our short, dead-end street where everyone had lived forever and ever, mothers and dads from our tight-knit church, friends of mine who came to give some support.  Some of the folks that came surprised me and some who didn't surprised me as well.

I guess I'm not a terribly emotional person because I don't feel especially terrible.  I bet I'll feel the loss going forward.  I guess we all mourn in our own way, yeah?

No comments: